Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Women in the military



http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-10-28-military-women-sexual-trauma_n.htm

The military is a field that has been predominately men for as long as it has existed. It is one of the more controversial fields of work for women to be a part of for many reasons. The physical strength and endurance alone is a main reason as to why many Americans, both men and some women, believe there is no place for a woman in the military. Just like many areas of work for women there are many obstacles and barriers they have to go through in order to be successful. Unfortunately, sexual harassment and abuse towards women is reported by 15% of female veterans. The fact that there are not that many women in the military the few that are don’t have the odds in their favor to be free from torment or harassment. One out of every seven female veterans reported being sexually abused or assaulted during their time in Afghanistan or Iraq. More than half of these women also suffer from PTSD which is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. These numbers are incredibly high considering less than 100 men reported to be sexually assaulted. This is the first study that has screened this many people regarding sexual abuse or harassment after their deployments.
I feel that this is just another obstacle for women to have to deal with and another fear they will have when deciding if they will enlist in the military. Women have done a lot for our country through the armed forces and could do even more without the kind of threats such as sexual abuse and harassment. For a country that stands so harshly against these crimes you would think that the military would agree with our morals and laws as a country and hold strong against such violations. This is a terrible report to hear and something needs to be done about it immediately before it escalates any further.

4 comments:

Dr. Mic Hunter said...

I'm glad somebody is paying attention to this. When my book "Honor Betrayed: Sexual Abuse In America's Military" was published I thought the press would be interested in doing something to support our troops, but for the most part they ignore the fact of sexual abuse. Dr. Mic Hunter

Matt way said...

yes liz this is very important. i feel that this is something that could be dealt with and controlled over there in Iraq or Iran. but my question is why hasn't this been noticed by the media? or why haven't we heard about the government doing anything to stop this? it makes me wonder if the reason America turns its head on this issue is that American Politics still Feels that women have any place over there, or in the military for that matter. How do you feel about this Liz? Do you have any insight or ideas of your own about how this issue dealt with? Media coverage? let me know i would really be interested?

Anonymous said...

I think sexual abuse is a very important thing to look at that we so often overlook. I think it happens in a lot of workforces that everyone just ignores. And like Matt said why don't people take notice of it? Why is the media not reporting it? And I fully agree that women should be allowed to do what they want to do. That equality is something we should have through all races, genders, and anything else. But I guess I wonder if there are possibly restrictions simply due to the fact of how we were built biologically. That there are some things better for men to do simply because of how we were built. When I was younger I really wanted to be a firefighter but was told I really couldn't, at first I protested but reality is, I'm 5'6" and smaller built and there's no way I would be able to carry a 250lb. man out of a burning building so it makes me question where we draw the line of restrictions.
W. Sherritt

Unknown said...

Liz you are so right it is very important. I feel that this hurt is something that could be delt with and controlled over in Iraq and Iran.